Friday, October 24, 2008

nyc, day 1 (9 oct 2008)

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Well, we’re here in New York! The plane took off about an hour late, but we had clear skies all the way into LaGuardia. We flew in on a different route – we were within sight of the northern shore of Lake Erie for a good distance (it's weird being able to see across the whole lake...) – and then I was lucky enough to be on the correct side of the plane to get an absolutely wonderful view of downtown and midtown Manhattan at night. Everything was lit up. Amazing view. It looked like a wire construct from that height, and I managed to see the Statue of Liberty as well, out in the middle of the harbor.

We took a cab from LGA to D’s mom’s (she lives in the Upper East Side, I think the area is called Yorkville) – after dropping our luggage off, we walked to the Papaya King at 86th and 3rd for real NY hotdogs (according to D) and fruit drinks. YUM! We walked a few blocks up 3rd and then back over to the apartment. I hope the weather holds – it’s NICE outside!!

We’re going to see how much we can squeeze in tomorrow – we are coming back to change before going to the play. Mrs. G saved me a very nice picture and article from the Sept 14th edition of the NYT – I’ll take it into work and see if I can scan the picture in and post it somewhere. Probably on the PFW forum as well as the blog. (ETA: Haven't brought it in yet, but the picture that's on the link is the same one, and it took up most of the top of the front page of the Arts & Leisure section.)

I have purchased several of the Opal HP yarns – three last Saturday and another three Wednesday night. Saturday’s haul was Dumbledore, Ron, and Harry, and Wednesday’s was Draco, Lupin, and Tonks. Nancy still had all the colors, but she was down to 1 ball in a couple colorways. I brought Ron with me, as well as the pattern for the Lombard Street socks. D likes the Comfort Sox yarn, and now wants Twinkles as short-cuffed socks. :) (ETA: I have reviewed the above Opal yarns in a previous post.)

More later!!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enjoying your updates!