Saturday, October 20, 2007

knitting madly here

Well, it's been a week, and some, and just a short update today.

Not much on the knitting front - received a few hanks of sock yarn:
  1. A hank of 100% superwash merino from Yarn Chef in colorway It's Not Easy Being Green (green shades) for Quiche's socks (she's frog-crazy), probably in the Jaywalker pattern
  2. A hank of merino/nylon also from Yarn Chef in colorway Rusty Bucket (red/orange shades). I like the yarn but it's not as bright as I thought it was going to be - I'll be trying this with the "Fawkes" pattern
  3. My October Potter Covers shipment - very nice colors based on Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (rose/tan/blue/cream) and the accompanying pattern called "Heir of Slytherin"

Teh Pirate Sweater is near completion - I'll have the sweater seams done by the end of the work day today, but the leggings are not finished. ACK. A is taller than I thought, so the leggings (when they are finished) will be long enough.

One of Ash's Zephyr socks is finished and needs to be blocked. I like the pattern!! I may consider it for the Sirius colorway yarn I got from GeminiKnits a few months ago. Like I said earlier, I'm forcing SSS to finish the pirate costume.

I'm still obsessing. I'm starting to think I need a 12-step program for my Potter addiction. I haven't knit a lot in the evenings for the past 2 weeks because of a project that I'm working on. Yes, I am insane.

The husband of one of the gals I work with is a truck driver. I have been wandering around one particular HP fic site (there was something that was revealed last night about a character - more in a bit) and came across one amazing fic that was written and posted prior to the release of OotP. Anyway. I formatted the story to 8.5" x 11" paper, printed the 750 page monster out (yes, I said I was insane) and had the gal here read it. Now her husband wants to read it - but he doesn't read. He listens to audiobooks while he drives.

You know where this is going?

I did some research for text-to-speech software, and couldn't find one that wasn't $100+ that could pronounce the words correctly.

I know you know where this is going, now.

Yes, I am reading the fic. Out loud. Onto my computer. The story has an prologue, 43 chapters, and an epilogue, and I read and edited Chapter Eleven last night. By my calculations, I'm about one-sixth of the way through or so, and it's already 10.5 hours and 575 MB. At the rate I'm going, it'll be about 58-62 hours long, and 3GB or so at the bitrate I'm recording.

*takes a deep breath* I told you I was insane.

I think I'll be offering the document and the audio files to the authors once it's finished. Which should be about, oh, Thanksgiving.

Actually, I should have a bit more time this weekend to record - last weekend PK and Ash and I went to Hermann to go to the craft fair and to eat brats! One problem - we went on Sunday and it was DEAD. I've always gone to Hermann on Saturdays, and it's a madhouse, but this year we went on Sunday and it was a ghost town. Next year - Saturday! With Teh Sue! Whee!

Speaking of Potter, I discovered a website with FILK. Some of the songs are really good - I recommend "Seven Books" and "I'm Going On". In fact, there are a couple of filk sites linked over on the sidebar - you should really check out Tom Smith's site and blog. I love his stuff, and he's really quirky. Go! Listen!

JK Rowling was in New York last night, doing a reading for Scholastic, I think, and was asked a question about Dumbledore's past - and she OUTTED him. That's right - Albus was gay. *hears people falling over in either shock or laughter* Why she waited until NOW to tell everyone is a mystery, but, oh, to pull a quote from the Chicago Tribune online article:

"Oh, my god," Rowling concluded with a laugh, "the fan fiction."

*is going to stay away from the slash sites*

Quickie sports: GO ROCKIES! Going to the World Series!!! SQUEEEE!!!!!!!!

Gee, I chattered longer than I thought I would.

Lunchtime! Cheers!!

1 comment:

Aislinn said...

I just wanted to drop by and thank you for your kind words about our website, www.swishandfilk.com. The two songs you mentioned are near and dear to my heart, and it's so nice to know that someone else gets enjoyment out of them too. We're just a bunch of hobbyists, but it is fun to create, perform and share these little tributes to Jo's great work. Thanks again!